Who's The Boss? You Are!
Starting a business is always a scary proposition. A whole lot has to happen between the "I have an idea" phase and the "We're open for business!" stage. And I'm not just talking about how much work it is. Doesn't matter if you're opening a retail business, setting up an office or manufacturing a product, you have to invest money to get started. Sometimes a lot of money! Then there's all that blood, sweat and tears that you'll be shedding. And sleep you won't be getting. So yeah, it's a lot of work and it's scary. Big time scary! I'd love to say it doesn't have to be, but I'm not really sure how you can avoid being scared. As long as you're OK with that, the payoff of being your own boss while pursuing your dream can be so very worth it! This is something new entrepreneurs should keep in mind, especially in the early days when they're doubting the wisdom of their decision to go solo.
Startup 101: Advice For New Entrepreneurs!
I could fill this blog every week with nothing but advice for new entrepreneurs. I have my own experiences to share, plus there's a wealth of sage advice online that I could also pass along. Really, no shortage of people telling new business owners what to do and what not to do. So I'll keep my advice brief. Here's my short list of tips that I found helpful when I was starting out.
- Passion. Running your own business can be all-consuming in the beginning. So do something you like! Your chances of success are much higher if you're doing something you love. Sounds kind of basic, but still worth pointing out.
- Failure. Don't be afraid of the F word: failure. It could happen... in fact, it probably will. It doesn't have to mean the end of your dream. The key is to be prepared and have a plan for when it does. The sooner you can get over the idea of a failure, the faster you can move on from it.
- People. Seek advice from a mentor who's been there, done that. Also, try to network as much as possible so as to expand your contacts and possible reach of your business.
- Branding. Chances are, you won't be the first person ever in your field. So you've got to differentiate your business from others and give potential customers a reason to come to you. Putting some thought into your brand will help you focus.
- Learn. Become a consumer of information! Keep learning as much as you can. It'll make you a more well-rounded person — always a good thing when trying to make conversation — and can make you a more savvy business owner.
Be Oh So Quotable This Week!
I hope you like the quotes I'm sharing this week, which might help inspire new entrepreneurs or those of you who've been around a while. I always say running a business means the work never ends! Ain't that the truth? I bet your to-do list is a mile long! Make sure that the items at the top of your list are the things that relate to being more profitable. Everyone is so proud of being so "busy"...But Are You Making Any Money? Don't be too busy to focus!
Check out the summary of last week's business tips and motivational quotes from my Instagram page which you hopefully got to see in real time! If not, let's make sure we're following each other on Instagram!! So...here is this week's roundup of Instagram images of My Top Business Tips and Motivational Quotes.
New Entrepreneurs – Tip #1:
"Fail often so you can succeed sooner." – Tom Kelley
New Entrepreneurs – Tip #2:
"See things in the present even if they are in the future." – Larry Ellison
New Entrepreneurs – Tip #3:
"Focus on being productive instead of busy." – Tim Ferriss
New Entrepreneurs – Tip #4:
"Quality is the best business plan." – John Lasseter
New Entrepreneurs – Tip #5:
"Where focus goes energy flows." – Tony Robbins
Let's talk! I'd love to hear from new entrepreneurs!
Are you just getting started with your business? Tell us! What advice would you share with your fellow business owners? Which tips above did you find helpful? I would LOVE to hear from you!
Anyhoo...I publish these business tips and motivational quotes to get you fired up for your work week! And, if you want more business tips, get my book, But Are You Making Any Money? or contact me to really take your business to the next level!
P.S. Of course that's not all we've got! Searching for more tips about running a business?
Then definitely take a look at these:
I'd love to hear your ideas! So please comment below and then SHARE!