I've received a lot of advice over the years. And, big surprise, I've given a lot of it, too — to pretty much anyone who'll listen. Sometimes I get paid for said advice (you can hire me for that, it'll be tailored just for you). And sometimes I spout off for free right here (#shocker), all in a good way. Just tryin' to be helpful and share what I know. So what's the best advice ever? Hmmm... that's a tough one, depends what we're talking about. If it's for throwing a fabulous party, then I'd say something about tasty food, and tell you to put some effort into one or two elements of decor. And don't forget a signature drink — that'll kick things up a notch and keep everyone from noticing the things you didn't get around to doing.
If it's business advice we're talking about, then I'd suggest having a solid, up-to-date business plan, and that you keep obsessive track of your money — what's coming in, what's going out. As for life advice, the Golden Rule is always a good place to start. Finish with a killer pair of shoes and you're good to go. Superficial? A little. But hey, that's what makes me feel happy and confident. Merçi, Monsieur Louboutin!
The Best Advice Ever, Cliff's Notes Version!
So here's a random list of other tips that I find myself telling people a lot. It's my hit list of what to do and not do, a quick and dirty version of some of the best advice ever that I can think of.
- Give people more than they expect. Always better to leave someone pleasantly surprised than disappointed.
- Be generous. You don't have to give more than you can afford, but give what you can.
- Pay attention to your financials regularly. Hire help for this as soon as you can afford it.
- Figure out the big stuff first before you tackle the details.
- Don't be afraid to charge enough for your services or products. This common mistake sinks many an entrepreneur, especially in the early stages of a business.
- Ask for help when you need it — sooner rather than later!
- Find a mentor, someone further ahead in their career who's been there, done that.
- Keep learning. You're never too old to learn new tricks.
- Don't fear failure! Sometimes failing at something is what leads you to your next success.
- Be open to new ideas, new approaches, new people.
- Have a plan! You need to do your homework before doing something new so as to minimize your risk.
- Be a risk taker. (But first, see the point above about homework.)
- Surround yourself with smart and interesting people, both at work and in life.
- Happy hour can go a long way to solving the day's problems. (Just don't overstay.)
- Know when to let go, whether it's cutting your losses on a venture, giving up on an idea or walking away from a deal that's no longer good.
- Be fair, honest and respectful.
- Throw a party once in a while.
- Wear shoes that make you happy. Sometimes you have to pick style over comfort. If you can find both... damn, you're lucky!
Be Oh So Quotable This Week!
I'm sharing some other advice I like from a few notable people this week. And speaking of advice, are you in desperate need of simple and easy steps to attract clients you love, create a pricing strategy and ditch the door knockers? Then you've come to the right place! Get it here for FREE!
I always say running a business means the work never ends! Ain't that the truth? I bet your to-do list is a mile long! Make sure that the items at the top of your list are the things that relate to being more profitable. Everyone is so proud of being so "busy"...But Are You Making Any Money? Don't be too busy to focus!
Check out the summary of last week's business tips and motivational quotes from my Instagram page which you hopefully got to see in real time! If not, let's make sure we're following each other on Instagram!! So...here is this week's roundup of Instagram images of My Top Business Tips and Motivational Quotes.
Best Advice Ever – Tip #1:
"If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!" – Richard Branson
Best Advice Ever – Tip #2:
"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." – Joseph Campbell
Best Advice Ever – Tip #3:
"We’re all different people and we’re allowed to be different from one another. If someone ever says you’re weird, say thank you." – Ellen Degeneres
Best Advice Ever – Tip #4:
"We need to re-shape our own perception of how we view ourselves. We have to step up as women and take the lead." – Beyonce
Best Advice Ever – Tip #5:
"If you push through that feeling of being scared, that feeling of taking risk, really amazing things can happen." – Marissa Mayer
Let's talk! I'd love to hear what you think is the best advice ever!
Has someone ever given you the best advice ever? I would LOVE to hear from you! Anyhoo...I publish these business tips and motivational quotes to get you fired up for your work week!
Oh by the way, in case you're looking for something to help with time management, we've got this fun little quiz to test your productivity. Are you a Vodka & Red Bull? A Dirty Dirty? Or a plucky Blue Sapphire? Find out which cocktail you are by taking our quiz right now!
P.S. Of course that's not all we've got! Searching for more tips about running a business?
Then definitely take a look at these:
I'd love to hear your ideas! So please comment below and then SHARE!
Disclosure: The Party Goddess! is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through an amazon.com link. However, these are all products I highly recommend and support!